SOLVED

Grouping documents alphabetically, by date, etc.

Brass Contributor

Hi,

I have a document library which is grouped by a column named "Year". This is set on the document's details and could contain values like 2022, 2021, 2020, etc. The groupings are set in the document library details page:

JasonYeung_0-1674168688180.png

I want to add a subgrouping (within the year grouping) but it appears I can only add it based on the column. I was wondering if I can make this group alphabetically (e.g. 1 group has files starting from A to E, then F to J, then K to R, etc.) or when the file is created (e.g. from Jan.2022 to Apr.2022, etc.)

Sincerely,

Jason

2 Replies
best response confirmed by JasonYeung (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@JasonYeung I don't think this is possible in SharePoint. Grouping and subgrouping in SharePoint only works with the existing columns in the list/library.

You can try adding grouping on created date column in library OR you can create a calculated column based on library which will give you month of Created date and then add grouping on that column.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap,

Thanks for your help!

Jason
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by JasonYeung (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@JasonYeung I don't think this is possible in SharePoint. Grouping and subgrouping in SharePoint only works with the existing columns in the list/library.

You can try adding grouping on created date column in library OR you can create a calculated column based on library which will give you month of Created date and then add grouping on that column.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

View solution in original post