Global Navigation not visible for everyone

Brass Contributor

Hi all, 

we are currently setting up our Intranet with the modern experience. Therefore we enabled Global Navigation which is supposed to show the same navigation items as the home site. 

This worked good until I started to do some testing with the permissions of a user - Lets call him Paul. 

I created a security group with dynamic rule. Paul is member. This security group is managing the access to my home site. Paul can access the home site and see the site navigation. He also sees the Icon which I have set for Global Navigation but if he clicks on the icon an empty pop up appears. It seems like he ca access Global Navigation but is unable to see the navigation items.

Does anyone else have had this problem? 

Thanks in advance! 

5 Replies

@SYN_Dominik How much time you waited after making changes to global navigation? 

Changing global navigation may take up to 24 hours for the changes to take effect for other users.

Also, what permissions you granted for user group, Read/Contribute/Edit?

ReferenceEnable and Customize Global navigation in the SharePoint app bar 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi,
I waited longer than 24h. Still the same problem. I do have the following set up;

Page 1 - Landing page. Peter has visitor access

Page 2, 3, 4, 5 - Mentioned in the global Navigation; Peter has no access to the sites itself but is enabled for the pages which are linked in the navigation.

The Global Navigation is based on the navigation of the home page and not on the hub.

Also I used many labels in the navigation which should be shown in any case for my understanding. But the global navigation is completely empty. The navigation on the home page is visible.
Make sure audience targeting is not enabled for Home site navigation.
I did. Audience Targeting is only enabled for one webpart on my homepage but not for the navigation.
Update: It seems like the global navigation has some problems if the set homepage is unavailable for the user. I assume that we have a very special use case for all of this.