Global Admin has no access to New Communications Site

Brass Contributor

Hello,

I just ran into something I've never seen before with the new Communications SharePoint sites. Background I'm the Office 365 Admin and have Global Admin permissions, as well as Site Collection Admin permissions. Today I had one of our SharePoint Admins create a new Communications Site. She had me review the site by sending me the link to the site. When I clicked on the link I was taken to the Access Required page. The SharePoint Admin had to add me to the default groups for that site. 

As a Global Admin & SP Site Collection Admin why would I not have access to the site? It looks like Site Permissions has also changed where you cannot go and add additional permission groups. The only way to give read access to our organization is to Share the Site and type in Everyone. 

Another strange thing is that under Site Contents I do not see any of the Communications Sites listed in the subsite list.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2 Replies
The way communication sites work in regards of permissions and visibility is the following one:
(1) When a user creates a communication site, it's added as a site collection admin...so if you are not the creator of the Communication site and the site has not been shared with you, it's absolutely correct you don't have access to the site
(2) As happens with modern team sites, Communication sites are not listed in the SPO Admin Center (they will be listed in the new SPO Admin Center to come)

@Juan Carlos González Martínthanks for the reply. It looks like I'm going to have to look at locking down Team and Communications Site creation until I have created some training guides and governance. 

Thanks,

Vince