Getting Sharepoint to work

Copper Contributor

I am trying One Drive for Business and want to use it for a team of 9 people in a small company.  I have set it up and given people user names with the specified onmicrosoft.com.  They can log in with user names and passwords but they can't see the shared folder and when it sends a link to them they are not getting it.  The link only lets me put in their onmicrosoft.com email and not the usual company one.  is this the source of the problem?  Do they need to set up an onmicrosoft email?  Is it forcing us down this route before we can use the sharepoint?

6 Replies

Hi @NikiB 

I'm new to this but here is how it works for me, (I have office 365 business premium sub)

I go to my admin profile, one drive for business, create a folder called Share 1, right-click on it and choose manage access, then the right side menu shows up, from there I add other user that I want, check the box to notify them and click grant access.

1.png

here is what happens to the other user I just shared that folder with.

they get a notification in the bell, I open it and see this,

2.png

then i click on it and it opens the outlook email, 

Annotation 2019-11-14 233836.png

when i click "open", it takes me back to my one drive for business tab in the browser and I can see the new folder appeared under the shared section.

Annotation 2019-11-14 233410.png

p.s I refreshed my one drive tab once too.

hope that helps :)

Hi @NikiB ,

The links will only get sent to the onmicrosoft.com email addresses. To get them to your @domain.com you need to add the domain to Office 365 and change the users to be @domain.com users. 

On a side note you are best of creating a SharePoint site and sharing files out of there rather than use OneDrive. 

Andy

There is a whole host of things you need to do to be able to get these alerts properly, the issue is these accounts will e-mail that domain built into your office accounts. But I'm not going to cover all that now,

In order for those users to see the content. Have them open their OneDrive accounts when they log in, then clicked Shared on the left rail. They should then be able to access / see the content you shared with them there.

@Chris Webb 

@Chris Webb wrote:
There is a whole host of things you need to do to be able to get these alerts properly, the issue is these accounts will e-mail that domain built into your office accounts. But I'm not going to cover all that now,

In order for those users to see the content. Have them open their OneDrive accounts when they log in, then clicked Shared on the left rail. They should then be able to access / see the content you shared with them there.

Hi,

so the Email that is sent to others is not necessary and they don't have to click on "open" in this email?

Annotation 2019-11-14 233836.png

Not if specific users option is used when sharing. Basically that is adding direct permission to the folder, which in turn should index and add to the Sharing view of the users being shared with.
Thanks, good to know