SOLVED

Frequency for reviewing permissions

Copper Contributor

Hello! I'm looking for any guidance or best practices when it comes to the frequency of reviewing permissions in SharePoint Communication sites. Is it recommended that owners review the permissions on their site(s) Quarterly, Bi-Annually or Yearly? Any factors that are taken into consideration - like sensitivity levels of the site content or the number of users that have edit access? We do not allow external access to our Communication sites, so permission reviews are mainly used to help owners control who has access view or edit content. Thanks!!

2 Replies
best response confirmed by Niki Felker (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Niki Felker,

In my opinion and generally speaking, bi-annually would be ideal and annually sufficient. Communication sites typically host content that is safe for general consumption within the organization. You should factor in your organization's compliance-regulatory requirements and the sensitivity of the content in the site to fully inform your decision. 

I don't mean to be vague or noncommittal but it really does depend on your organization and the content sensitivity.

I hope this helps.

Norm

Thank you @Norman Young - Your opinion as help reaffirm my initial thoughts! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Niki Felker (Copper Contributor)
Solution

Hi @Niki Felker,

In my opinion and generally speaking, bi-annually would be ideal and annually sufficient. Communication sites typically host content that is safe for general consumption within the organization. You should factor in your organization's compliance-regulatory requirements and the sensitivity of the content in the site to fully inform your decision. 

I don't mean to be vague or noncommittal but it really does depend on your organization and the content sensitivity.

I hope this helps.

Norm

View solution in original post