Force use of classic edit form

Copper Contributor

As you may know the automatically generated modern form has some problems. For instance, it ignores any column setting of hidden. Right now whenever i make a new document set it uses the classic new form which is great because it only shows the columns I want it to. But then when i go to edit it from its welcome page SPO gives me the modern form with all the columns. I know you can force a whole library to display as classic experience but that's not ideal either. Is there a way to force the use of the classic edit form without changing the whole library to classic?

2 Replies

Hello @klaw-sha,

As far as I know, it is not possible to have the modern library experience with the classic form.

Have you seen the "Edit form" functionality in the modern New/Edit form? I believe it achieves what you are looking for.

Hello @klaw-sha 

Do you use SharePoint Designer?

You can control which fields to include/exclude, even rearrange the order of your fields on the edit form.

In fact, you could also copy fields from the display form to add if you want to provide reference data without allowing edits to those particular fields.