for managing versioning of document sets i have to add another meta data to document library

Brass Contributor

I wanted to make a Document management system for my self with using document set because each document No related to 2 or 3 files.

I want also can manage versions of each document set and users can see all major version in view that I make.

Now for implementing this scenario I have added a metadata to document library it’s name is (version_new) and when i first time add a document no SharePoint automatically sets value for version_new to 1 and if there is document no before it sets value to max (version_new)+1.

Now I want to know for implementation this scenario this method I want to use is correct or no?

Or I have to use Another methods like activating versioning setting of SharePoint ?can I made a view that I have access to all version of document no (each document set) by using versioning setting of SharePoint.

Please guide me in this regard because I do not know for solving my problem I have to use activating versioning setting of SharePoint or I have to manually add another metadata like(version_new) ?

If I have to use version setting of SharePoint I have problem with versioning of document set because it does not version automatically by SharePoint and I do not know how to make a view that shows all major versions to users?

4 Replies

Hi @Masoud1313 
In the document library settings, under Versioning settings you can specify whether a version is created each time you edit a file in this document library.

For more info try 

I hope this helps.

Thanks @bnerd I know how versioning setting of document library works, I have problem for solving when I use document set.

Please respond regarding my scenario, I am looking for a in action solution, I am looking for a step by step procedure what I have to do for solving my scenario.
Actually I do not know
1- how to manage versioning of document set automatically like what we have for files in document library.

2- how to create a view that shows all the major versions for all documents set in document library.
Not sure I understand correctly but:

1. To create a new version of a document set simply click on ‘Capture Version‘

2. Viewers/Readers will only see the latest major versions. Minor versions are visible to those with edit permissions only.