Folder Permissions Being Removed when Copy To Used

Steel Contributor

For too many reasons to go over on this case, we use folders for our specific Project data (ie we do not want to have to create a new Doc Library and/or Subsite/Page each time we add a new project).  Most of our users have access to them all so when we Sync with OneDrive, it's nice and easy.  If we had separate sites/page we'd have to sync project separately.  So we are sticking with folders.   

Most of the permissions are constant ie we have 3 set AD Groups, however, I have modified the permissions on the 3 subfolders that I want to retain when we create a new project.  I copy the subfolders into a new folder (using the Copy To) but ALL the folder specific permissions are getting erased and I have to redo them all.

Is there no option to retain folder permissions?  

3 Replies
Unfortunately permission aren’t keep when using CopyTo feature. You will need to use Powershell or a tool like Mover that was acquired by Microsoft and free for use. Other ShareGate is a powerful tool that may help.

@jab365cloud I will checkout Mover thanks.  Sounds like a great product (too bad I've never heard of it until now).

I have the same question, how do i move SharePoint folders to another SharePoint site (same tenant) and still keeping the permissions, i have checked out Mover, but I cannot find any good guides that describe my case :( I feel like it’s a basic case i have, move folders to another site, an keep the permissions.