Flow is missing when using search

Copper Contributor

Hi there,

I hope this is the right subsection of Sharepoint-forum that I'm posting to - if not, please excuse me, I've tried searching and cant' find any post that matches my problem.

I have created a flow in Sharepoint365 and when I select a list item the flow button at the top appears fine, even if I use filters to find the element:

flow1.jpg

But the second I use the search function at the left side of the screen and chose the same list item as before in the filter, the Flow button has disappeared:

flow2.jpg

Has anybody come across this problem before and found some kind of work-around ?

Thanks in advance for any help or pointers in the right direction,

Dave

10 Replies

Hmmm - even stranger - it turns out that the Flow button I see when using Filter instead of search does NOT show my flow, just the default sharepoint flows... the only way to get the Flow button to show AND get my flow in the list, is to find the list item manually and then select it... seems strange to me ?!

Yes i was able to reproduce the same behavior flow disappears while using Search but when using filters to get to the item it appears fine. This appears as a bug to me. Maybe you can use metadata to get to the item you need?

@Chakkaradeep (Chaks) Chinnakonda Chandran any comments on this issue?

Hi Naveen,

'Glad' to hear you can reproduce it - but sad to hear it's a bug (and probably will take a long time to be fixed).

Thanks,

David

I would recommend both to report this issue via support ticket

@dave_sct same issue is happening for me.  we have a long list of 4000 items, and the user needs to find the correct item, then start a flow.  Search is the only possible way to find the correct item, but then flow cannot be started.  I even tried using the Column Formatting to add a button to start a flow.  The button works unless the user has searched for the item first.

If anyone finds a work-around, please let me know.

*I see now that the user can filter to the item first, and this method works.  And, the user can search within the filter preview pane, however when the user selects from the returned results, it isn't obvious that the correct record has been selected until the user hits apply.  Not ideal.

@dave_sct 

I can't confirm that SharePoint doesn't offer custom flows when using the filter. I used it on a text field and was able to select a flow I created on my own, not only the default flows. So maybe a new feature.

But unfortunately, there is still no possibility to trigger any flow from search results which brought me here in the first place...

@dave_sct 

Any Updates on this issues? We are also struggling with this and can´t believe it doesn't work! We also tried to use a column with formatting to trigger the workflow as a workaround (create-a-button-to-launch-a-flow ). In the normal list or library view it works, but as far as we using the search nothing works anymore.

From the end-user perspective it is absolutely not helpful. They work with list an libraries with several thousands of entries. To use the filter option is way to slow!

@dave_sct 

Hi everyone, I got a reply from O365 Support. This ugly thing is by design!

Now I have no clue how to sell that to the end users with large and hugh libraries...

I started an UserVoice for this: Start a flow (PowerAutomate) from the library search (new Search experience) – Customer Feedback for...

@dave_sct@Jan_Schumann@_J_K_@KentTschoepe@Juan Carlos González Martín   

I am also facing this issue in my tenant.

I have submitted an idea on SharePoint UserVoice to allow calling power automate flow while searching in SharePoint list/library.

I would request you all who are facing this issue to vote on below idea. If we get sufficient votes for this idea then Microsoft might implement this feature in near future.

Allow running Power Automate Flow while searching in list/library 

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@ganeshsanap 

Can someone update the latest status. Does MS have at least plan to allow automate in search result.