Find Library Name in Search (SharePoint Online)

Copper Contributor

Hi all,

I'm fairly new to SharePoint Online. So, please forgive if I am missing to give you important information or suchlike.

In my company, we are just starting to use SharePoint Online.

We have several customers for each of which we want to create a teamsite. Then, for every new offer to that customer, we open a new library (that has a special structure, we will use list templates in order to do so). The pattern for the library name is always: yyyy-mm-dd_theme.

Multiple customers can have the same theme in an offer.

The folders within the libraries and the documents can be easily found through the search.

But, when I search for the library name itself or parts of it (parts of the theme), it doesnt give me any results.

And, I want to make it as easy as possible for the users. They should not be asked to add a tag to their documents.

Is there an easy way to solve this?

Thank you in advance!

9 Replies
Libraries show up fine for me when searching using the new Microsoft Search bar at the top. not sure if you have that yet or not.

@Chris Webb 

Thank you for the fast answer. It seems we don't have that bar since it doesn't work. I think we are using the classic UI. Might that be a problem?

For searching, I am using the search bar at the top right (beneath the edit button).

Yes, it's a ModernUI search experience.

Thank you.

So, there is no way we can have the correct search results in the classic UI?
Due to some restrictions and missing features in the modern UI, we want to use the classic UI.

Hi Charlotte,

please change to https://[YourTanantName].sharepoint.com/ and search for ContentType:"Folder". Any results?

Regards
Jens

@Jens Balondo 

Hello Jens,

no results.

And when I search for the name, I can just select a result type that is a data file (like Word, OneNote, Zip and so on). In the advanced search, I can just select result types "all", "documents", "word documents", "excel documents" and "PowerPoint presentation".

[Of course, if I use the name of the theme in a file, it can be found.]

Hi Charlotte,

just to be sure.. You use the the search bar from the modern site on the top?

https://[YourTanantName].sharepoint.com/

And your search results are also use the modern experience with default verticals?

2019-06-21 07_51_50-Window.png

Or do you start your search from a Site with the search scope just in this Team Site?

2019-06-21 07_35_53-Window.png

Hi Jens,

when I go to

https://[MyTanantName].sharepoint.com/

I am redirected to a teamsite (/SitePages/DevHome.aspx). But, when I click on "SharePoint", it seems to be my startpage. There, I can search and have the default verticals

Unbenannt.PNG

(I don't know why the Notebook shows up, it doesn't contain any information).

(The search results just decrease to zero, when I search for "2019 ContentType:"Folder"" or such)

Can there be something in the settings that prohibits me to find folders or libraries?

It seems I found the error (or both errors).

I was mainly working on our dev-environment (for testing) and it seems that the webcrawler somehow did not work for the libraries (but for files…?).

I am now working on our productive system and there, when I search for "ContentType: "Ordner"" (not "Folder"!!) I find the libraries and folders (also when I search for themes/names). It just takes some time after creation unitl it can be found (since the webcrawler only works a few times a day).

Thank you for your support, @Jens Balondo !