SOLVED

Filtering in Lists - multiple values required

Copper Contributor

Hi,

I have a metadata column called ‘RENGEN Tags’ in a List that contains words and phrases that serve as tags to describe each item in the List. For example:

Item 1 ‘RENGEN Tags’ values:

Tag A, Tag B, Tag C

Item 2 ‘RENGEN Tags’ values:

Tag A, Tag E, Tag F

Item 3 ‘RENGEN Tags’ values:

Tag A, Tag C, Tag G

I would like to be able to use the filter function to show a list of cases that have all tags specified. For example, show all cases with Tag A AND Tag C. In this case it would show Items 1 and 3. 

At the moment however using the column filter function and ticking the boxes next to the individual tags shows cases with Tag A OR Tag C, which is not what I want. 

Is there any way to change this behaviour, ideally within the standard Lists functionality, although I do have some experience with Power Automate. 

thanks

3 Replies
best response confirmed by laser132217 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@laser132217 This is not possible using SharePoint default "Filter by" option as you are filtering on same field. 

However, you can construct URL on your own like below: 

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/SPConnect/Lists/ChildList/AllItems.aspx?FilterField1=Scope&FilterValue1=A&FilterType1=MultiChoice&FilterField2=Scope&FilterValue2=B&FilterType2=MultiChoice

This is filtering multiple selection Choice field based on value A AND B. Similarly, you can build URL for metadata fields. You might need to change FilterType as per the metadata field.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

@laser132217 Example for filters on multiple selection managed metadata column:

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/SPConnect/Lists/ImageList/AllItems.aspx?FilterField1=DeptMetadata&FilterValue1=SharePoint&FilterType1=TaxonomyFieldTypeMulti&FilterField2=DeptMetadata&FilterValue2=M365&FilterType2=TaxonomyFieldTypeMulti

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

Hi @laser132217 , did you get it to work? I'm encountering the same issue. Thanks.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by laser132217 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@laser132217 This is not possible using SharePoint default "Filter by" option as you are filtering on same field. 

However, you can construct URL on your own like below: 

https://contoso.sharepoint.com/sites/SPConnect/Lists/ChildList/AllItems.aspx?FilterField1=Scope&FilterValue1=A&FilterType1=MultiChoice&FilterField2=Scope&FilterValue2=B&FilterType2=MultiChoice

This is filtering multiple selection Choice field based on value A AND B. Similarly, you can build URL for metadata fields. You might need to change FilterType as per the metadata field.

View solution in original post