File Upload/Download Errors

Copper Contributor

I'm having two quite debilitating issues with SharePoint.

The first is that large downloads always fail, showing a 'The Archive "_____" is empty" error or "Unable to expand (Error 79 - Inappropriate file type or format.)" error message. I've tested this on multiple accounts and on multiple files (screenshot attached). This might be an issue with how SharePoint tries to compile the ZIP file? The downloaded ZIP files aren't 'empty' in the sense that they show the correct file size in Explorer or Finder, but over a certain size they're guaranteed to be corrupt.

The second is that when uploading files that already exist in the folder you're uploading to, the file needs to upload fully before it gives you a 'Replace' message, then has to upload again. I've read that this is by design, but this is problematic when dealing with the sort of files our team deals with (large TIF files and MP4 files).

4 Replies
I've discovered that the ZIP file extract issue occurs when zipping folders and files, but doesn't occur if zipping the files within a folder only. Am I the only person having this issue?
I'm still getting this issue with SPO. Is no one else seeing this? I have multiple members of our team complaining of the same issue. We can't download large ZIPs, which makes things very difficult considering we're a video editing/marketing department.

@MelbourneCreative 

Trust me, you are not the only one having this problem with the OOTB zip functionality. Most companies can circumvent the problem by using OneDrive for Business client. Basically users synch the files they want locally and then they create a zip file. It is more complex than simply being able to generate a zip file directly from the browser UI.

Given the type of work you are involved with (+screenshots) you will be probably be using macOS to a large extend. This narrows the options.

Some companies resort to using 3rd party apps to provide this functionality. The ones that are browser-based also work on macOS.

Paul | SLIM Applications

Backing up with SharePoint is one thing, restoring is quite another. Had same problems. We have working solution at another location using <$50 synchronization software by Syncovery.
I evaluated every major program of its kind, and it hands down hits all the buttons with selective backup / copy, recovery and file versioning, plus it has option to preserve last modified folder date. We back it up to the Business OneDrive but don't need or want the sluggish OneDrive client. Might take a while to wrap your head around all the options, that said support for the free trial and after was fast and expert. Check it out. <commenter is not associated with the company, not an ad>
With all due respect Microsoft, this limitation is asinine. "Welcome to Hotel Sharepofornia. Such a happy place..."they can "check in, but they can neeever check out." Not all at the same time anyhow.