External Sharing - Restricting a Site Collection by domain issue when inviting users

Bronze Contributor

If I restrict external sharing of site A to Domain A and invite user from Domain B the user is invited and receives an email message if they exist as a user in my tenant already. Following the sharing request link tells the user they don't have access and they can request access if the access requests are on. Approving the access request does nothing. 

I am thinking I would classify this as  bug.  Would you expect this to happen? I would expect the usual message "Your organization's policies don't allow you to share with these users. Go to External Sharing in the Office 365 admin center to enable it.

6 Replies

Yeah if the user already exists in the tenant I would expect the feature to check for that before sending an email invitation. Sound like a scenario they didn't code for/test, we get a lot of these lately...

Hi @Andrew Hodges,

Thanks for flagging this! Can you share (pun not intended :) ) which Share UI you used to add the guest user from Domain B to the site? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive

Hi @Stephen Rice ,

Its all of them from some quick tests I just did.

Thanks

Andy

Hi @Andrew Hodges,

What this from the modern Share UI or were you using classic? Thanks!

Stephen Rice

Senior Program Manager, OneDrive

Hi @Stephen Rice ,

Both, I checked from the Share Site button and the Share file button in Modern pages and also in the back end permission screens, adding the user to site permissions. 

Thanks

Andy

Hi @Andrew Hodges,

Are you still seeing this on your end? I just tried to reproduce it from my end and I was seeing the expected error message (regardless of whether the Allow list was set at the tenant level or at the site level). Thanks!

Stephen Rice

OneDrive Senior Program Manager