SOLVED

External field in List - Copy content of other list

Copper Contributor

All,

I'm a PMO manager in my company.  Head of PMO recently created a new project list containing information about all the projects in our company.  I have a subset of fields I would like to maintain pertinent only to my projects.  Understandably,  they don't want to add these fields to the overall list.

Is there a way to create another list that captures the Project Name from the original list for all records.  Then I can add my few fields and manage off of the second list (as long as there is a record in the original)?  If I'm in the same site - can this be done without code?

4 Replies
best response confirmed by projectguy455 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@projectguy455: Yes, you can do this without coding.

1) Create a new list.

2) Add you own fields.

3) Also, add column with type as lookup and use Original list "project name" column.

4) This way all the project names in the original list will show up in the dropdown lookup column.

5) Any projects name gets updated will show up in the lookup column.

Hope It helps !

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

@Ashish_Kohale 

Thank you for the input - this ended up not working for a couple of reasons.  Ideally, I wanted to have the "target" list on a different site than the "source".  Could have talked them into creating additional list on their site though.

Then I started looking at lookup columns.  It won't bring over special fields, like people.  These were exactly the fields that I wanted to bring over.

I have ended up with a solution though.  Power Automate.  Changes to the source end up copying to the target.

Here's the youtube video that taught it to me - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYsMNoc7aPY&list=WL&index=29&t=0s .

@projectguy455 : Yes, If source and Target are not from same site then PowerApps and PowerAutomate are the best approach nowadays which makes our life easier. 

Happy Learning ! 

Thanks & Regards,

Ashish

@projectguy455 with Power Apps and the SharePoint Power Apps web part you can have your list stored on one 1 site and display it on the second site (or as many sites as you want). Any changes are saved back to the list on the first site, That method means you don't need to use Power Automate to keep the lists in sync. You'd need to build a simple app in Power Apps and use the list from the first site as the data source and include whichever columns you want. Once you save and publish it, copy the App ID and paste it into the Power Apps web part on the second site.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by projectguy455 (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@projectguy455: Yes, you can do this without coding.

1) Create a new list.

2) Add you own fields.

3) Also, add column with type as lookup and use Original list "project name" column.

4) This way all the project names in the original list will show up in the dropdown lookup column.

5) Any projects name gets updated will show up in the lookup column.

Hope It helps !

If I have answered your question, please mark your post as Solved.

If you like my response, please give it a Thumbs Up.

View solution in original post