Export to Excel - An Unexpected Error Has Occurred.

Copper Contributor

For about the last week or so our users have been reporting issues exporting list content to excel.  This is happening on different lists on different sites.

We have found that once they get the 'An unexpected error has occurred' message if they switch to a different view then return to the original view they can export without error., but needless to say folks aren't happy with that workaround.

Anyone else experiencing this or aware of anything going on?

Thanks in advance

Bob

4 Replies
Export to Excel is a basic feature in lists and document libraries that should work with no problems...can you provide more details about the browser your users are using and also the list required to be exported?

@Juan Carlos González Martín 

Thanks for replying.  We have several different sites with custom lists, and this has been reported frequently over the last week or so.  The one we are getting the most calls on has around 30 columns, no special characters in the columns and nothing out of the ordinary in the content, and the list has about 475 items.  We are experiencing this using both IE 11 and 75.

User clicks Export to Excel, gets prompted to open or save the query.iqy file, clicks Open and gets the security prompt to enable data connections, clicks Enable then gets the Unexpected error.  At this point we can click OK, then open a different view in the list then either toggle back to the original or stay there and click Export to Excel again, and we repeat the above, but this time the export opens.  If we close/reopen the browser it once again fails to open on the initial attempt.

Hope these details help, please let me know if more info is needed.

@BobAtkinson Do you know if there has been any update on this?  I have a user getting that error as well.

@MauriceV I am not aware of any updates on this. What I have noticed though is that this happens to our users when they access the list from the left hand navigation links on pages that are not in modern format. If they access the list directly through it's url or site contents or from a page in modern format the export works. I rebuilt the pages as modern to get around this. In addition to the export, we were also noticing issues trying to filter on columns, the page would just hang and the values wouldn't load. This also seems tied to the links from non-modern pages, and recreating pages fixed that as well. I don't know if all of this is just coincidence or if there is some other root cause in our environment. Let me know if this helps you out.