Export list to Excel - a connection to the SharePoint list cannot be established

Copper Contributor

We are having an issue which appears to have just started (was working a few days ago) where exported lists in Excel, created using the List > Export to Excel command, cannot connect to the list to refresh when using Data > Refresh in Excel. This error (shown below) is returned in Excel just moments after exporting.

A connection to the sharepoint site.png

This happens when using Chrome, IE11 but only on this one site collection. This site collection is heavily used and did not have this problem prior to around a few days ago. Users tested have Full Control permissions on both site collections (I am site collection admin).

Switching to classic mode before exporting did not correct (I previously replied to another thread here but decided this is likely a different issue altogether so thought it best to start a new thread).

This is only affecting one site collection (the main one we use for data collection) but not any other site collections. I confirmed that Excel's connection properties appear to be appropriate in both cases so there must be something about this one particular site collection that is causing this although no changes were made to the settings or permissions of the affect site collection lately.

Excel Exported Connection Properties.png

Does anyone know what site settings or other conditions might contribute to this not working anymore? Not really sure where to start looking.

2 Replies

@Phil Detweiler we're having the same issue.  Has anyone found a solution?

@Phil Detweiler @Becky123 it looks like it's a bug and it's also affecting us. However the export to CSV is working so use that as a workaround until Microsoft fix it.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)