Excel workbook to a Sharepoint List

Brass Contributor

Good Morning

I have an Excel workbook i am trying to migrate to a List, i can only get this work with the source columns being created as text. I need choice etc so i can filter to views etc.

I am trying to establish a best practice, as to maybe Flow can be utilised better, if i need to do more prep in the list itself first, or if there is a method i am missing.

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

4 Replies

I think the functionality you are referring to is not yet rolled out. It will be possible to create a list based on Excel data.

Other way could be to first create the list en put it in edit list mode and copy paste the data into SharePoint.

Our customers typically integrate Excel with SharePoint lists (and many other apps) this way. It works for example with Excel on-prem (e.g. on a file share) and SharePoint Online or Server on-prem. It can be used for migration (Excel to SharePoint), but also for a permanent sync of changes. Best to create your SharePoint list as needed and map the columns / fields to each other. Some "translations", for example to Excel strings to SharePoint lookups can be implemented using Dynamic Columns (a few lines of C# if needed). Hope that helps, Frank.

Thank you for your note, i have been testing with varied results, as you say, the ability to simply migrate with column functionality and customisation, just isn't available OOTB yet

Thanks for this Frank, i am going to give the trial a whirl and see if it is what i need. We have a lot of Excel sheets which may benefit from being in a list format.