Excel Web Access web part won't refresh

Copper Contributor

I am trying to put live/refreshable Excel charts on a SharePoint Online web page using the Excel Web Access web part.  I have made 3 different Excel files using different methods for creating the connection between the custom SP list and the Excel file.  The Excel files are stored in a Document library on the same site as the custom list and the web part page.  In each case I am unable to realize a live data connection between the chart and the underlying list data.  

Here is one data connection example I used.  However, when I update the underlying list data the change is not reflected in the pie chart I have on the web page.  When I tried to refresh the connection using the "Refresh Selected Connection" from the web part tool bar menu, the page flashes but the webpart does not update.  If I use "Refresh All Connection" I get the error message "External Data Refresh Failed, unable to refresh one or more data connections. 

If I open the Excel file and Refresh the data from there, then save and close the file then refresh the browser, the change is reflected in the webpart.  This isn't a practical solution however. 

I'm hoping someone can advise me.  I see plenty example online of this working; I just can't get it to work for me.

2 Replies

@AngelaFrench Did you ever find resolution to your issue?  I'm trying to solve the same issue with no luck.  

@Curtis Beene No, I did not.  I do not believe it is possible.  The solution I ended up with is to write a vb script that updates the underlying Excel file, the used Task Scheduler to run that script on an hourly basis.  It is not without its own kinks, but mostly works (you have to be logged into your computer and it runs on my personal computer which is not ideal).