Excel Embedding in Web Pages - Interactive Buttons Stopped Working

Steel Contributor

I have noticed what appears to be a widespread failure of embedded Excel workbook interactivity buttons (i.e., Download or View worksheet in full-screen) as described in Microsoft documentation here. My organization's website (example here) has relied on this functionality for over a year now, and only recently stopped working with no changes from us. No matter the document, be it from SharePoint or OneDrive, the prescribed embedding procedure does not result in functional interactivity buttons with any machine, network, or website.

<p><iframe frameborder="1" height="400" scrolling="yes" src="https://southbendin2.sharepoint.com/sites/webcontent/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?guestaccesstoken=yxoWux9kTYTCP3OUZPFNCUT1DcUWsmbyYjg6cd5w8Qk%3d&amp;docid=02ad6cf6171bf4cdeb79c44019f663509&#10;&amp;action=embedview&amp;wdAllowInteractivity=True&amp;wdDownloadButton=True&amp;wdHideHeaders=True" width="600"></iframe></p>

I have also tried this same embedding procedure with an Excel spreadsheet with my own OneDrive documents from a personal Microsoft account, and the failure of these buttons is still the same. Office365 support sent me here, claiming this issue falls outside their scope. I'd noticed that someone experienced this issue when embedding inside a SharePoint site, which isn't what we're trying to do, but the symptoms were the same. Has anyone else experienced this issue, discovered a solution?

2 Replies

I just noticed the exact same thing on a few of my reports in FF, Chrome, and Edge.  Clearly something has changed.  An update from Microsoft would be helpful.  

I made a ticket with Microsoft and they let me know last Friday that they were able to replicate the issue and it is indeed affecting multiple tenants. They couldn't give me a fix date, but they have acknowledged it as an issue.