Excel document links are broken when I upload from desktop to Sharepoint?

Iron Contributor

I have an issue where we are trying to migrate staff documents into Sharepoint Online. Many staff within the company use Excel documents which contain links to other Excel documents, in other words updating a cell in one file also updates automatically in another.

I've created two test documents and linked them together. When I upload them both to Sharepoint and update the cell in the master document, the second document does not update. The second document also shows the following error:

error.png

Without keeping the integrity of links this poses as a massive problem for our migration. Is there any fix or solution for this?

Thanks

2 Replies

We have the same problem moving file servers to SharePoint Online and Microsoft have quoted us 16 days to build a tool that physically opens every document and updates the hyperlinks from the old UNC path name to the new SharePoint Online name.  Unfortunately this will then change the metdata like last updated etc.  Would love to hear if anyone has a solution to this problem already.  Microsoft and other vendors like Sharegate indicate customers normally do this manually.

It amazes me that a feature like retaining link integrity isn't part of the Office 365 suite. Most businesses will be using linked documents in some way or another, the fact that these documents simply break the moment you upload them to SP is absurd.

I've come across a tool called LinkTek LinkFixer which, according to their website, supports fixing Sharepoint links in some way. I have been unable to download their trial yet but this could be a potential solution.