Error when exporting Sharepoint list to excel

Brass Contributor

Hi, all. 

I am trying to export a sharepoint list from sharepoint online in modern format via the built in “export to excel” on the list ribbon. I get an error message and it does not export to the list to excel.

I’ve seen this problem quite frequently in the community - is this a bug in sharepoint? Does Microsoft have a fix for this? Is there an effective workaround?

2 Replies

@slohombre  it's not a general issue as I've never had a problem exporting to Excel. Sorry, I can't suggest anything which doesn't help you at all but hopefully else will be able to offer some insight.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@slohombre 

Is it something like this?
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/unable-export-to-excel-from-sharepoint-list-using-...

Possible work around from that link is:
My workaround is to
Go to the Site Assets Library on the same site
Create an Excel file
Data > Get Data
Connect to SharePoint Online list

I took the file, did a query and then saved it as an Excel file.  I saved it to the Site Assets Library and then opened it in Excel (client / desktop) and then did a refresh content or connection and when I updated the List item, say adding a 1 to a name in a row, it refreshed!
NOT a great work around when it should work, however it does if it is for a List item that is available to edit for persons or read only, yet the rest of the site is NOT accessible.