SOLVED

Equivalent Function for 'Send E-mail When Ownership is Assigned'?

Brass Contributor

Hello Group-

My first post here...

We're trying to get a client off of the 2007 version of (on-prem) SP and onto SPO. We created a list based on all of the identical functions they currently have with SP2007. The client uses the Alerts function with the list and needs to continue to use alerts with SPO, however, I don't see a feature in SPO that accomplishes the same function found in 2007 under E-Mail Notification, "Send email when ownership is assigned"

The use-case is that the client has a person add an item to the list, and then another person assigns that item to a team member to process by making that team member the owner of the item. They want an email notice to be sent to the team member once the item is assigned to them without that team member having to elect the 'alert me' option.

It's pretty straightforward in SP 2007 (see attached), but not so obvious (to me) in SPO.

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

3 Replies
best response confirmed by razor7tech (Brass Contributor)
Solution
The reason that option is there is because it is a Task list template and you probably migrated or setup the new list in SPO as a modern custom list type.

In SPO, you create an App instead of a list and choose Tasks app and this will replicate that option in the list advanced settings from the list template it uses will activate that option. The negative of this route is it's still in the old Classic look since Task list templates haven't been converted to Modern yet.

PowerAutomate flows don't really have a clean way to monitor column changes just yet, but it is possible using previous versions and you could technically do it with custom modern lists by creating a flow to do it.

Here is the article that explains it, it's a lot, but it's possible.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Community-Blog/Check-for-a-Change-in-a-SharePoint...

Either one of these solutions should hopefully help you out.

@Chris Webb 

Thanks for the quick response. I think you nailed it that the list I created was a custom list instead of tasks. I'm recreating the app as a tasks now, and it sounds like I should see the functionality we have in the SP2007 list.

I'll post back with the results after I'm done.

This was the answer. Thanks!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by razor7tech (Brass Contributor)
Solution
The reason that option is there is because it is a Task list template and you probably migrated or setup the new list in SPO as a modern custom list type.

In SPO, you create an App instead of a list and choose Tasks app and this will replicate that option in the list advanced settings from the list template it uses will activate that option. The negative of this route is it's still in the old Classic look since Task list templates haven't been converted to Modern yet.

PowerAutomate flows don't really have a clean way to monitor column changes just yet, but it is possible using previous versions and you could technically do it with custom modern lists by creating a flow to do it.

Here is the article that explains it, it's a lot, but it's possible.

https://powerusers.microsoft.com/t5/Power-Automate-Community-Blog/Check-for-a-Change-in-a-SharePoint...

Either one of these solutions should hopefully help you out.

View solution in original post