Embed Excel Workbook From SharePoint

Brass Contributor

I'm attempting to embed an Excel workbook in a website from a SharePoint Online team site.  I'm using the instructions posted here:

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Embed-your-Excel-workbook-on-your-web-page-or-blog-from-Sha...

I am able to successfullly embed a workbook using a view link - no sign in required, however; it seems that the embed parameters don't work out of SharePoint or OneDrive for Business.  I've tried hiding gridlines, headings, enabling the download workbook option, etc, and I have yet to get a single one of them to work.  The embed features do work as expected if I put the files in OneDrive (Consumer).  I can't find a lot of information about this issue. 

Has anyone else come across this issue?  Perhaps the embed parameters are not supported out of OneDrive for Business and SharePoint? 

22 Replies

Not really clear on where you have a problem. You have to upload the Excel file to a document library on your site.  Then on a page or create a new page, add the Excel Web Access web part and configure it from there using that Excel file.

Here are 2 tutorials which might help:

https://prezi.com/3tr-hg0bykzk/sharepoint-lesson-24-how-to-display-content-of-an-excel-file-in-a-web...

And a different variation from Laura Rodgers which might be of use to you:

https://wonderlaura.com/2015/01/21/dynamic-excel-web-part/

I'm not trying to add a web part.  I'm attempting to take a hosted (in SharePoint document library) Excel workbook and embed it in an external website.  In the Consumer OneDrive service there is actually a right-click context button that can generate your embed code for you in javascript or html.  

My question had to do with the supported parameters when embedding a workbook through an iFrame (see the link I provided in my original post).  I'm finding that the parameters don't have any effect on the content rendered through the iFrame.  As I mentioned earlier, the parameters work in OneDrive Consumer but not SharePoint Online or OneDrive for Business.  

Can you check the parameters are being sent by using a tool like Fiddler?

I have not.  I'm not real experienced with Fiddler, and I'm not real sure what I would even be looking for. 

There is no copy embed link on the pop-up menu for the Excel file. Instructions for embed a view (https://support.office.com/en-US/article/embed-a-view-of-your-calendar-804e1845-5662-487e-9b38-f9630...) say ":in OneDrive, right-click the workbook, and then click Embed. Embed is not a selection in the pop-up menu when u sing OneDrive for Business

OK. Not a problem. Just wanted to clarify a few thing

1. Where are the files located?

- SharePoint 

- OneDrive for Business

2. Can you access the link without logging on? (to test this get the URL - feel free to share it with me in an email if you are not comfortable with sending it on the message).

If it can be accessed externally then I can look at the parameters and if they work.

1.  I've confirmed that the problem occurs if I host the files in either SharePoint or OneDrive for Business.  

2.  I can access the file in a browswer with no active Office 365 sessions without any issue.  I put together a small example to show that the parameters do not work:  

https://www4.uwm.edu/grad_school/test_embed/

The Excel file is hosted in SharePoint in this case, and I created the link to it as "View Link - no sign in required."  If you check the html source you'll see that the iframe has the parameter "&wdDownloadButton=True" but the download button simply doesn't appear on the bottom of the embedded iframe.  

Thanks! I will review this in Fiddler later tonight!

Any luck getting the embed parameters to work?  I'm still experiencing this problem, and I'm hoping that I don't have to build in workarounds for things like downloading the workbook.  

I'm experiencing the same problem too. Here is my iframe embed code:

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="1300px" height="800px" src="
https://appriver3651017602-my.sharepoint.com/personal/anthea_crowinsight_com/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?docid=1b17dabec9a1f49b187468da6ff7a95b3&authkey=AZFtRXQsUx8qGA3lwZ_LvhU&action=embedview&wdDownloadButton=True&wdbipreview=True&wdAllowInteractivity=True&wdHideHeaders=True&wdHideSheetTabs=True&wdHideGridlines=True&ActiveCell=O22">

I am able to embed the file, but you can see that the parameters are not taking effect. I have Office 365 ProPlus and OneDrive for Business. The Excel workbook I'm trying to embed in the code above is stored on my OneDrive account, and I'm using the parameters detailed on this Office Support site. I have also just activated SharePoint Online for my account and tried embedding with a new shared link, but the parameters are still not working. 

Does this have something to do with the level of SharePoint access/support allowed in my subscription?

Hi Folks,

I have been able to test this and from the Fiddler analysis it looks like the request is redirected and the embedded code is stripped off. This may be a ticket to Microsoft. 

Regards,

Pramod

Hi everyone,

I believe I've found out what the issue is. I found an example workbook on this website that has an embedded Excel workbook with parameters working. Upon inspecting the code I realized that the workbook URL is from onedrive.live, NOT Sharepoint.

I then tested my own workbook by logging in to my Microsoft OneDrive account (i.e. the Microsoft account that is separate from O365 for business. I accessed OneDrive by going through onedrive.live.com, and not office.com). When I uploaded my Excel workbook to onedrive.live, selecting the workbook there brings up an embed code icon. I used the URL in that code and modified the parameters to generate this example:

<iframe frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="1300px" height="800px" src="
https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=42E3AD426E37D95C&resid=42E3AD426E37D95C%21128&authkey=AHX-n7u6UUOimCw&em=2&action=embedview&wdDownloadButton=True&wdbipreview=True&wdAllowInteractivity=True&wdHideHeaders=True&wdHideSheetTabs=True&wdHideGridlines=True&ActiveCell=B5"></iframe>

I'm not sure if Sharepoint is supposed to have this feature enabled, and it seems odd that it doesn't. I don't know how to raise this as a ticket to Microsoft without having to pay to submit one, but I hope posting this here helps someone. Good luck!

Hi,

If it is a Office 365 subscription, then there is Support button in the new Admin center. Give a brief three to two keyboards, to look for solutions and then submit the request.

image.png

Thanks,

Asish

Does any one have a work around for this yet? 

This is really frustrating, because what I want to do can be easily done on onedrive for consumers, but not in onedrive for business. 

In onedrive for business, I can embed an excel wb in my website but viewers need to sign in to view the document. Then, following OPs link, I can embed a version which the public can view (without an account) but cannot interact with, i.e. I need the parameter wbAllowInteractivity=True to work. 

Plus, isn't it soooo inconvenient that the embed function doesn't have a "don't require sign in" option, while its possible to do so?

Now, I'd be more than happy to use onedrive for consumers and call it a day, but unfortunately that has an excel wb limit of 5 mb.

Hi Karan,

I've been tinkering around with this and I've sort of found a way to make it work. I think Microsoft has been making updates and changes also, as the embed options are different than from when I posted in this forum a few months ago. This makes it quite hard to keep up with what works/doesn't work. But for now, my workaround seems to work.

After you've set sharing to "Everyone", click "Get link." The link that I get looks something like this: "https://hostprovidername-my.sharepoint.com/personal/myname/....guestaccess.aspx?docid=23kj4hkjbs876...&authkey=SIdslbxxoIL2jd8s"

Switch out "guestaccess" with "WopiFrame", and try the embed again. It should be available to the public now and parameters will work.

There's a different docid that is generated if you get the pre-generated embed code. It defaults to WopiFrame.aspx, but the query after it will look like this: "WopiFrame.aspx?sourcedoc={3jf890d-0s9d-298d-d9x0-9d9s87c7shdf}" This will not allow public access without signing in.

Hope this helps!

P.S. a neat parameter I discovered via the embed code options box is that you can set the default active cell. Param is ActiveCell='Sheet1'!A1

I ran into this issue and found this post.  Not sure about permissions as I tried several things before I finally got something to work.  No idea where the embed icon is on the business side of sharepoint/onedrive, but when I opened it up in Excel Online, I just selected the icon at the end of the ribbon called "Tell me what you want to do."  I typed in Embed and it took me to the typical embed prompt I saw on the consumer side.  I got it embedded in an external website and it looks to be working.

Thanks for this tip! Spent a good amount of time looking for Excel embed options for use on a SharePoint site and this provided the best solution. Used the Embed web part to display the selected range.
I realize this thread is almost five years old, but I am having the same problem now (Nov 2021) and wonder if an easy fix has been discovered.

Using MS 365 Personal, I can store an Excel file in OneDrive, generate embed code, embed it on my website and it is viewable by everyone. I've switched to MS 365 Business and now the website displays a "Sign in to Sharepoint" graphic instead of the Excel file contents.

I've been on the phone with Microsoft three times totaling five hours and they can't figure it out either. All permissions in Sharepoint are set correctly. I can go to the "Classic Sharepoint" view and indicate the file should be viewable by "everyone". The LINK to the file works, but the iframe code apparently does not allow anyone to see the Excel file contents on the webpage unless they "Sign in to Sharepoint".

Any news/updates on this would be appreciated. Thanks.

@officeasac 

The only way I've been able to do this and have it public facing with no password is using my personal OneDrive. I know it's not ideal but assuming you have that option, I would just go with that.