SOLVED

email reminders for tasks

Brass Contributor

I'm doing grant work for a non-profit. I'm trying to determine if we can use Sharepoint to manage the grant application process instead of purchasing specialized software. However, I'm new to Sharepoint and have spent most of the day trying to figure this out. Is there a way I can assign tasks and have email reminders sent out X days before the due date? 

I have read articles about using Flow to create emails based on a date column in a list. However, this does not appear to apply to Task Lists. So I've been trying to figure out a way I can create a List of all incomplete tasks, who they are assigned to, and their due date. I do not want to have to create the task and then remember to also manually add it to another list.

If it is possible to create a Flow based on a task list, is it possible to have that Flow automatically applied to any new task list? If not, the latter option of creating a list of active tasks might end up being better because then I could create separate task lists for each grant opportunity. 

Thank you in advance. 

3 Replies
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@0123456789 Yes it's doable. You have to build Scheduled Task Reminder Flow and then iterate each item which satisfies your requirement and then send reminder. 

To replicate the same:

1. I created  a task list.
  2. Then I created a Date column which I named as Reminder Due Date and the set the value (Due date-2 Days)
  3. Then I went to flow where I added Recurrence and set the interval as one day2019-10-02_1558.png
  4. Then in the next step I queried the Task List to get the items where the reminder due date matches with today's date. You can use the Original Due date as well just you need to change OData filter criteria. Task List might not appear in your List Name drop down you can use the name as it is defined in the URL it should work fine.2019-10-02_1601.png
  5. Finally send emails for each item which matches the criteria reminding them to complete the task

2019-10-02_1606.png

Hope this helps you!

Ops didn’t mean to mark as answer. Like is too close to the button. Anyway it’s most likely the best answer since this is how you can accomplish it with flow.

@Vikram_Samal  thank you so much! I really appreciate it! 

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@0123456789 Yes it's doable. You have to build Scheduled Task Reminder Flow and then iterate each item which satisfies your requirement and then send reminder. 

To replicate the same:

1. I created  a task list.
  2. Then I created a Date column which I named as Reminder Due Date and the set the value (Due date-2 Days)
  3. Then I went to flow where I added Recurrence and set the interval as one day2019-10-02_1558.png
  4. Then in the next step I queried the Task List to get the items where the reminder due date matches with today's date. You can use the Original Due date as well just you need to change OData filter criteria. Task List might not appear in your List Name drop down you can use the name as it is defined in the URL it should work fine.2019-10-02_1601.png
  5. Finally send emails for each item which matches the criteria reminding them to complete the task

2019-10-02_1606.png

Hope this helps you!

View solution in original post