SOLVED

Editing left-side menu of modern site takes you to classic settings page

Brass Contributor

The site collection is classic mode; the site in question is modern; the left navigation behaves like the classic experience. Clicking the Edit link in the left navigation opens a new page which is in the classic mode: Settings > Navigation Settings. However, when I checked a SharePoint site associated with a Teams site, you are able to make changes on the site page when you click the Edit link -- the modern experience.

How do I fix the left navigation on the site in question so that it behaves in the modern mode?

Thanks.

5 Replies
best response confirmed by Vanessa Martin9 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Vanessa Martin9 

1. Is this a subsite under classic site collection?
  2. Are you using structural or metadata drive navigation
  3. Any classic site feature enabled on site like server publishing feature? - If yes and it is not used for any other purpose, try deactivating it.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

I am having the same issue. This was not an issue yesterday, however. I added a new Library today and now when I go to edit the side navigation I need to Edit in Classic mode.

@GavinKlose Did you add normal document library or library using any classic template like "Picture Library", etc.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

HI @ganeshsanap. Thanks for the response. It is a normal document library. I had Activated server publishing feature earlier in the day and then turned it off again. After numerous page refreshes and some time, the navigation issue seemed to fix itself.

However, it randomly reverts back to Classic Mode when I click on some of my side navigations (when not Editing). It just does not seem very stable.

@GavinKlose Try clearing browser cache, cookies and site data related to your SharePoint site from browser settings.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Vanessa Martin9 (Brass Contributor)
Solution

@Vanessa Martin9 

1. Is this a subsite under classic site collection?
  2. Are you using structural or metadata drive navigation
  3. Any classic site feature enabled on site like server publishing feature? - If yes and it is not used for any other purpose, try deactivating it.

View solution in original post