Editing functionality missing

Deleted
Not applicable

I have some issues editing some of my SharePoint sites.

I have several different SharePoint sites - some have been created through MS Teams, and others I have created in SharePoint. Although they look more or less the same, I don't seem to have the same editing possibilities.

For the sites created through Teams I don't have the option to 'Change the look', add background images and the list of options under site settings are very limited.

The sites created through SharePoint (team sites, not communication sites) have more options. However, I have noticed that my subsites have different web part options than the main sites (eg. the Sites web part).

Also, in some sites I have the possibility to go to classic SharePoint, and in others I don't.

I don't understand how this works - why don't I have the same editing possibilities regardless of how the sites have been created?

4 Replies

When you say created from SharePoint, what exactly do you mean? were they created from the SPO Admin Center, by clicking on the Create Site link on the SPO Home page or some other manner?

My first  guess is that you have different permissions in the different sites. I'm guessing that you may be a Site Collection admin in the sites created from SharePoint and you are not in the sites created from Teams (you may be a Site Owner, but not Site Collection Admin).

Additionally to Dean's comments, ti's also true that the configuration options you see in modern Team sites are slightly different to the ones you see in classic sites...you are always going to have more configuration options in classic sites. In regards of why you don't see the option to go to the classic SPO view, it's very strange...but the general rule is that you should always see this option when you are in a modern document library or in a modern list

When I create a completely new site, I can choose either Team site or Communication site (mine is a tem site). When I then create a subsite, I have following options:

- Team Site (classic experience)

- Blog

- Project site

I would choose Team Site - but I want the same editing possibilities as the main site. How do I change that? I am new to SharePoint and only just learned to navigate in the modern version.

That is not currently possible, The new Group enabled Modern team sites, cannot have another modern subsite, but what you can do is create a classic subsite and then change the home page to modern.
Why do you want a subsite? I have many customers who created subsites when all they really needed was another Document Library.