Edge + PDFs Issue - get Hmm...looks like this file doesn't have a preview we can show you

Iron Contributor

We have many users reporting this issue in Edge - where they open PDF documents from SharePoint Online sites (and some reports of Word doing this too) the file opens, and as they are scrolling through they get blank pages and then often the preview message comes up. Chrome is fine. Deleting browser cache does not help. 
NoPreview.jpgBlank Pages.jpg

6 Replies
I have seen this quite some times and I don't have an explanation of the root cause of this problem. Something in the file viewer in Office 365 is not working well with Edge

Thanks, Juan Carlos - very helpful on the file viewer and Edge.

Anyone else have some insight into the cause\fix?

@Donia Strand I am having this same issue with users that use Chrome. Any Ideas on how to resolve this?

@lfulk - I'm going to open a MS Support ticket. I'll report the results back!

Here's what MS Support said:

"As the PDF preview  wasn’t working on the version of edge that is currently installed on your machine, we request you to upgrade the version of Edge to 42.17134.1.0"

>>>When I looked at my version, it is: 41.16299.820.0

We're going to test this out. For Chrome, it might be worth it to see what version you are on and upgrade if it's not the latest. 

I received the same error using Chrome for some .pdf files I had uploaded to a modern document library. Not sure what the issue is but it works with no issues if I use Internet Explorer.