Does using metadata hurt the performance of a document library

Copper Contributor

In an effort to improve search-ability of documents, I have created a metadata driven document library.  The files were originally in a library organized by folders.  The library contains just under 300 files.  We are using 2 managed metadata fields, each with under 200 choices in the term store.  

In the original library, the library screen load time was just under 2 seconds.  However, in the new library, the load time is more like 7-9 seconds.  It also takes longer to load more documents in the view as you scroll thru the documents.

I ran other tests, such as removing the metadata columns from the view - helped a little and switching the library to classic mode - not much of a difference.

I certainly see value in using metadata in a document library.  However, if it is going to hurt library performance, then it may not be worth the effort.

Has anyone else experienced this issue?  Were you able to solve the issue?

Thanks in advance

3 Replies
If you jump in with managed metadata you will hit some performance degradation but it also depends on what type of fields you use as well. You might also go into the list, and check indexed columns and see about adding in the managed metadata fields. Pretty sure you can index those as well, this might help improve your performance.

Thank you@Chris Webb giving this a try.  I'll report back on the findings.

Thanks for the suggestion, @Chris Webb.  I created 2 indexes for the library.  One that indexes both columns (primary & secondary) based on usage suggestions from the business owner.  The second with just the column I designated as secondary in the first index.  

At first, my timings looked encouraging.  However, the trends show no real changes.

Does this mean that, if I use metadata, I am going to see degraded performance?  Load times that go from 2 secs to 7-9 secs will discourage us from using metadata.

Any further advice would be appreciated.