Does SharePoint Online Tenant data is stored in multiple data centers?

Brass Contributor

Does Microsoft store SharePoint Online Tenant data in multiple data centers? If they do, are they active at the same time? If not, if one is read-only, how is the high availability achieved and what is the recovery point objective?

3 Replies

SharePoint Online data is indeed stored in multiple datacentres but only within your region, or country (if available).
I would suggest reviewing this site, as that will tell you all that can be in a public setting: https://products.office.com/en-us/business/office-365-trust-center-welcome

Hi Loryan, thank you for responding to my question. I read the content on the site you shared and found the following link that shows where our data is. If you select North America, it shows three datacenters with SharePoint Online - does that mean our data is in three different data centers? If so, which data center is going to serve our users? If MS moves our data to a new data center with our Geo, how do we optimize our network to get better connectivity experience.

It's not very clear to me if you can get this detailed information somehow...with Exchange Online it's possible, but I'm not aware about how to achieve the same in SPO.