Does a SharePoint list allow you to filter fields when adding in a new item?

Copper Contributor

Basically I am creating a risk assessment register that will hold items regard ALL risks so ones relating to fire, chemicals, manual handling etc.

Obviously these types of risks have different information associated with them for instances, chemicals have "substance type" where as a fire hazard might have a specific "location". 

When you add a new item into a SharePoint list, all of the options appear for you to add the information in but I was wondering if there was a way to have it so that when I go to add an item that is related to chemical, only the boxes relating to chemical risk assessments appear instead of having a load of useless fields for the user.

I am keen to keep this as one list as a central register that users can filter will be best.

Thank you for any ideas you come up with. 

2 Replies

@LukeJSmith you can do this with a Power Apps customised form. You would add a dropdown and based on the selection set the visibility of each of the columns to either true or false.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Intranet, SharePoint and Power Platform Manager (and classic 1967 Morris Traveller driver)

@LukeJSmith 

Hi Luke, and although this question was raised a long time back, I wondered if you managed to get things fully answered and working to your satisfaction.

I'll mention at the start that we (kwsservices.co.uk) have developed a number of Compliance systems over the past 15 years we have worked with SharePoint, Microsoft Office and also Power Apps, one of which is a Risk Assessment Register application.

There are a number of ways you can show only a number of fields from a SharePoint list in a record.  Obviously you can use a Power App form as a data input/edit/read method and that both saves and draws data to and from a SharePoint list and controls and manages that in a very well presented and controlled fashion however that assumes you have Power Apps within the business. 

You can also use the option to Manage Content Types which is within the Advanced Settings of the List Settings.  There is a great support article here - Use content types to manage content consistently on a site (microsoft.com) which is worth reading to understand more about this concept.  The way this works is there might be 5 fields in the List as a whole – A, B, C, D and E.  You then set up two content types, with Type 1 using fields A, B and E, and Type 2 using fields A, B, C and D.  When you create or read a document created in either you only see the fields for that type.

There is lots more to add around this, but this is the basics for things and gives you a starter (that’s assuming you need it at this point!).

Obviously if you would like to see more of the applications and systems we’ve developed, then I’d be happy to oblige.  I’d also genuinely like to understand where you got to with work on this and how and what you are currently working on.

Regards and thanks.   Alan Courtenay