Documents always opening in Online.

Copper Contributor

We have a problem both on our online and a few of our clients where we set parameters to default to opening documents in libraries to client applications (per client request), however, this is not working.

Instead, it always opens in the online version of the application.

As far as we can see this is a bug. But I would like to know if someone else has experienced this and if anyone has found a clever workaround :)

11 Replies

Which version do you use for office? and do the local machine work with azure ad/ or same credentials?

We're using Office 365 ProPlus, version 1611 (build 7571.2109)

Don't know about our clients.

As for our local machines, our local AD is synced to Azure AD.

And in the settings of your library's you have open default in desktop app?

Yes.

just had a look myself. it is not only this setting but also a feature.

please check this blog from Marco http://blog.sharepointgeek.nl/post/2014/07/22/how-to-configure-the-default-open-behavior-for-Office-...

Sorry forgot to mention, we've activated this also

mm than it is strange if no one replies i would suggest to register a service request in your portal.

mm than it is strange if no one replies i would suggest to register a service request in your portal.

We're experiencing the same problem on our O365 tenant. We have enabled default action to Client application and also enabled Site Feature

Additionally I found that this problem occurs only on CLASSIC experience in SharePoint Online. If I switch back to Modern UI everything works as it shout hence excel file is opened in desktop Excel application.

Any Idea? If no I will open a ticket on our tennant.

UPDATE: In Internet Explorer open in client works as expected. The problem still persists on Chrome and Firefox.

I have the same issue in August 2018.  No fix?

In our case if use Chrome it opens in browser with modern UI as well. With other browsers, not sure about Firefox, app opens the file.