Document Share Reminder

Copper Contributor

I have users that are getting auto generated emails reminding them that a file was shared with them. Is there anyway to turn these emails off?

6 Replies
No, this seting cannot be disabled

@Stephen Rice this wasn't really communicated to my knowledge, but we've been seeing some new things around sharing files. I noticed I would get an e-mail notification when someone would access my file I shared to them. And Jeffrey says they get reminders if they don't use the file link. My guess is until they click the link, they will get reminders. 

Guess the question is, can you maybe elaborate on this updated notification system. And if there are perhaps any configurable options? Thanks!

If I am getting your problem right, I think there's a way to disable it.

In the modern experience you may need some additional work. When you select an item and hit the Share button, it doesn't give you the option to prevent notifications. However, you can click on the 3 dots in the box that pops up(between the "Send Link" title and the X button) and select the "Manage Access" option that shows up. It will prompt you to a sidenav. At the top right of this sidenav, you can select "Grant Access" to open a dialog similar to the first one, although this one has an option to disable email notifications. Lemme know if you are having trouble to find it.
Is there a way to disable these reminders?
Is there an update on this item? Is there a way to turn off the email notifcations that users are receiving?

Yes you can get this disabled. Reminder you're getting is probably related to alerts. By removing yourself from the recipient of the alert, you will no longer receive it. Just a reminder, this is designed for administrators to receive to control security risks of the organization.

See link for guide: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-365/compliance/alert-policies?view=o365-worldwide

1) Go to https://compliance.microsoft.com/alertpoliciesv2
2) Look for Alert Policy you want to edit (the one related to sharing)
3) Remove yourself from reminder or add a shared mailbox instead.
4) Save changes.