SOLVED

Document Set Shared Columns not showing any data

Copper Contributor

Hi all, Just wondering if anyone knew why a custom document set (parent is document set) I created which has Shared Columns enabled for, say Column A and Column B, does not show data for those columns below the document set structure?

At the top level my document set shows data for Column A and Column B, but when I click into the document set, which has a bunch of folders and files, Column A and Column B does not contain any information. I thought this data was inherited from the Document set for any files in the set?

Thank you in advance.

5 Replies
Document Set columns do not automatically inherit. You need to explicitly define which fields are inherited into the files that are added to the Document Set in the Document Set settings.
Hi Susan, thanks for the reply. The only options I am aware of in the Document Set settings are to check off the columns I want to be "Shared" in the "Shared Column" section of settings. Which settings are you referring to? Thanks.
best response confirmed by Jasun565 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Shared columns in the content type settings for the Document Set. When you check the boxes in Shared Columns, those columns are synced to the files that you add to the document set.
That is my understanding and I have those set. I use the same custom document set in two different libraries on my site, one works as expected, but the other does not show the data and they are configured the exact same way. Really strange behavior.
OK, I figured out the issue, yikes. It had appears I had deleted the "Documents" content type in the library that was not working. Once I added the documents content type in with the columns I wanted shared, everything is working now. Thanks for the reply!
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Jasun565 (Copper Contributor)
Solution
Shared columns in the content type settings for the Document Set. When you check the boxes in Shared Columns, those columns are synced to the files that you add to the document set.

View solution in original post