SOLVED

Document Library, clicking New and opening in the client application?

Brass Contributor

There is a SharePoint Site Collection feature called "Open Documents in Client Applications by Default" which when activated, any library where you click on a office document it will open in the thick client. However in these document library, if a user click "New" it creates a new document and opens it in the browser.

Is there a way to prevent this functionality? I would like new and existing documents to all open in the client application, not just existing. 

10 Replies
best response confirmed by Paul Matthews (Brass Contributor)
Solution
AFAIK, the only way to "disable" inline creation of documents is by customizing the document library so custom document types are used...otherwise, users will have the option to create documents using Office Online
Do you mean create a content type with its own document.dotx template?
We have issues with different behavior in different browsers. We have a library with a custom content type linked to a customtemplate.dotx.

Creating new documents will open Word Online in Chrome and Internet Explorer - not the client except for one user, where Internet Explorer opens in the Client as expected.

Any advice?
Any updates regarding this topic? I am running into the same issue. It's workable but annoying, especially since our document template has restricted permissions enabled so it will not render in the browser. So my users always get an error message and are prompted to 'Edit in Word' anyway.

Hi,

We did manage to get it working. It requires custom content types on the library and "Open document in client by default" setting on (on either library or site collection level). The same setup did not work at first in Chrome, but overnight it was changed.

Hi Jonas,
I'm attempting this solution but without much luck. Are you adding new templates with this new feature by any chance?
https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/Microsoft-SharePoint-Blog/Announcing-new-file-template-manage...

Hi Scott,

No, not is this scenario. This new feature is the ability to add document templates within a single library. In our scenario we use document templates stored in a central location and reused across multiple site collections.

@Scott_Whitmore Same issue here, with technique in your link.

Did you manage to solve your issue ?

I got the same requirement but no luck using the suggested options. My use case is specific to working with the document header which is a bit awkward in Word Online

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Paul Matthews (Brass Contributor)
Solution
AFAIK, the only way to "disable" inline creation of documents is by customizing the document library so custom document types are used...otherwise, users will have the option to create documents using Office Online

View solution in original post