Document Column Metadata Not Saving

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I've got a library of documents in a SharePoint Communications site. I added a column called "Project Type" and saved a number of project type options for that column (multi-select). However, when I select the relevant project types for a file and hit save, it shows "Saving..." then "Saved" but does not save the project type information. Instead, it just clears that field after saying it saved. I tried it multiple times and each time it shows like it is about to save those options for project type, then they go away. 

I attached a video of what it looks like below.

Any advice on this?

Rohan

17 Replies

@RoBhatt93 - did you manage to find a fix for this? I am having exactly the same problem!

@RoBhatt93 Are you seeing this on all documents in your library? I'm having the same issue, but perhaps more limited in scope. It's only affecting some office documents in my case. No issues adding metadata tags to PDFs, images, or on about 50% of the office files.

@Jack Wert - This is only affecting some office documents for me. The majority of the office documents and all PDFs are updating fine, it is about 25% for me.

@Sam1209 

I'm getting the same error on 2 files in one document library, but its two different fields and two different file types. One is a PPT and one is a PDF. 

So frustrating. 

I wonder if I delete it and re-add it. Anyone tried that?

Hi All, Quick update on this issue.

I just tried recreating my choice columns and everything seems to work now. Literally copied and pasted the choices from the broken column into a new multi-select choice column in the original library. Same settings, documents, and only the default 'Document' content type. I guess this was just a transient issue on the back end associating the new Properties with specific Document IDs? Anyway, give it another try! Hope it works for you.

Hi all,
I'm having this same issue and wondering if there is another solution other than that proposed by Jack Wert. I have a lot of documents in this library and if I were to have to re-do the column, it would mean re-assigning that column's metadata to ALL of the files wouldn't it?
Thanks,
Karen
I have run into this problem while working with Word documents. I seemed to have stumbled on a fix. I noticed in my source Word document there was some custom XML data in the metadata. After removing the custom XML, the issue is gone. I was not the author of the document so I have no idea where the custom XML came from, nor at this point, do I care. Problem fixed!

Here's the remedy I used...
Open the document in Word, click on File/Info/Check for Issues (Inspect Document)/Inspect Document/Inspect (button)/Remove All (Custom XML Data).
This worked for me, too. Thank you for sharing!

@RoBhatt93 I have seen this happen when someone, somewhere, has the file open for editing. But I have also seen this happen with no earthly explanation. :sad:

I have seen this issue fixed this issue by deleting the column and re-creating it. Not ideal of course if you have 1000s of documents. Export to Excel first to preserve all the values you'll have to copy back in.

@RoBhatt93 I just experience the same issue.  My columns in a few document libraries just stop taking in value.  Every time I save, it just clear out the value.  I can't believe there's no explanation nor a better fix for this.

@RoBhatt93 

I was having the same issue.  I added a column called invoice number, I tired to add the invoice number for a particular excel file into the Invoice number column but I could not get it to save.  I realized I had the excel file open.  Once I closed the excel file the column comment saved.

I am also experiencing this issue. Any easy way to fix this yet? A bit frustrating to not be able to use the metadata feature on documents.
I still have this issue any fix on it? except making a new column?

@RoBhatt93 This is happening to me too. I first noticed it on a powerpoint, and now I am seeing it on an excel file. I removed the custom xml data from the powerpoint but this did not fix the issue. I haven't been able to test the excel doc as it is password protected at the moment. This is really frustrating and as noted by others is intermittent on native MS app items [PDFs never have issue]. Has anyone reached out to MS or found a true solution?

@AndreaWRichardson - I had this back in March with a document and cleared the Custom XML data in File Info and that did the trick then. It has turned up again and this time clearing Custom XML data didn't so I tried clearing Document Properties and Personal Information, which has worked.

Close any Browser tab that may have the file open. Then check One Drive to see if the file has a green check and is not syncing. When you get the green check you should be able to updated the file properties.