SOLVED

Distributing Custom Content & List Templates.

Copper Contributor

Hello,

I work in the Property Management industry with a focus on HOA (Homeowner association) management. We currently manage 30 associations with 4000+ doors.

Over the past few months I have been working on improving my organizations SharePoint.

At this time I have set up for each association to be its own site and have them connected to a Hub Site.

I have created custom content and list templates on the Hub Site and am looking for direction on how to distribute them out to the associated sites. 

1 Reply
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Curtis_Kelly You'll want to use Site Designs and Site Scripts

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/declarative-customization/site-design-overview

You can apply site designs for all  new sites,  or to run whenever a site is joined to a hub (for hub specific lists/libraries/contenttypes). If you need to do it retroactively, you can apply the site designs using PowerShell.

You may get some recommendations to use the Content Type Hub because it allows for a centralized location to provision Content Types from.  However, this doesn't scale well in large environments and I would avoid using it. If you do need to manage some data from a centralized place (say choice fields), think about using the Term Store in a Managed Metadata for those shared columns.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by VI_Migration (Silver Contributor)
Solution

@Curtis_Kelly You'll want to use Site Designs and Site Scripts

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/dev/declarative-customization/site-design-overview

You can apply site designs for all  new sites,  or to run whenever a site is joined to a hub (for hub specific lists/libraries/contenttypes). If you need to do it retroactively, you can apply the site designs using PowerShell.

You may get some recommendations to use the Content Type Hub because it allows for a centralized location to provision Content Types from.  However, this doesn't scale well in large environments and I would avoid using it. If you do need to manage some data from a centralized place (say choice fields), think about using the Term Store in a Managed Metadata for those shared columns.

View solution in original post