Display custom list data in web part in another SharePoint Online site collection

Brass Contributor

Hi all-

I've searched high and low and have been unsuccessful.

We have a list on one SharePoint Online site and want to display its data on a different SP Online site collection.

Thank you!

10 Replies
Unfortunately Microsoft does not provide a native WebPart to show a list on a different site collection...best option is to build your own WebPart that works as required

@Arnie_Howes you don't need to build your own web part, this can be done with a flow in Power Automate. Basically you have your main list and on the other site you have another list that is exactly the same structure and you use the flow to copy the items to the second list whenever an item is created or modified. Then you display the data from that second list in a list web part on a page on the second site. If it doesn't need to be in exactly real time then you could have it run once a day for example or ever 2 hours or on whatever schedule you need using the Recurrence schedule trigger.

Rob
Los Gallardos
Microsoft Power Automate Community Super User

@Arnie_Howes another way to do it which doesn't require a flow and displays the list from one site on another is to create a Power Apps app. Use the list as the data source, save & share it, get the app ID from the Details screen and then embed it in a SharePoint page on a different site with the Power Apps web part. In the image below the list on the left is the live data from a completely different site collection.

embedListFromOtherSite.png

Rob
Los Gallardos

Thanks, @RobElliott. I had previously thought of that, but was hoping someone had a silver bullet that didn't require duplicating. So far, that seems to be the best solution!

@Arnie_Howes with the Power Apps app solution, unlike the flow, you aren't duplicating the list. It is working with the live list on the main site and displays it.

Rob

@RobElliott , I have never used the Power Apps web part...didn't even know it existed. I'll look into that also!

Hi Arnie (@Arnie_Howes) let me know if you want me to do a short video on how to do the Power Apps solution.

Rob

Los Gallardos

@RobElliott , that is so generous. I am working with another individual that thinks she can do it. Let me give her a shot at it and I may take you up on it. Have a great weekend!

@RobElliott Rob, if you use a Flow, does the secondary list have to be the exact same structure as the primary. I have a challenge where I have a master list (locations) that has lots of detail that most teams don't need. (we are the IT group). In a perfect world, we would have specific views on different pages of our intranet site that were tailored to the page s department like sales or HR. 

No it doesn't have to have exactly the same structure.