Disaster Recovery Single Server 2016 Farm On-Premise Solution

New Contributor

Seeking a step by step guide for a DR solution for a single server, on-premise SharePoint 2016 Farm on a physical server.

Historically, we had been able to restore the entire server (OS, Applications, etc.) to a virtual machine without a network connection successfully. Meaning that the server would boot up and we'd access the SharePoint Websites within the VM Host. At this point, we can no longer, we just get a blank white page and in ULS, entries to connect to the network for authentication.
Perhaps a recent OS or SharePoint update now prevents, but it was our way of testing a recovery option.

I have referenced this article, https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sharepoint/how-we-can-be-sure-that-we-have-sufficient-backups... , which lightly discusses a standby farm.

I currently have two virtual machines; a test SharePoint Single Farm (2016) with content. I have a separate 2nd test SharePoint Single Farm (2016) without content - it's my 'standby farm'.

How do I get the 2nd test farm to become the other test Farm? I have both SQL Backups and SharePoint Backups.

The ultimate goal is to understand, practice and successfully restore in this test environment to be prepared in my live environment.

Thanks in advance,
Micro361

0 Replies