Disable email notifications for a SPECIFIC document in Sharepoint

Copper Contributor

I see how to change my setting for all notifications in Sharepoint. However, I want to stop receiving email notifications for only a SPECIFIC Word document when someone else makes a comment in it. How do I do this?

3 Replies

@J_Diamond Can you share the screenshot of settings you are talking about?

Are you trying to disable email notification when one user "mentions" another user in word document comments?

Also, I am thinking most probably settings will be available at library/site levels and not at file/document levels. So, just wanted to confirm about which settings you are talking exactly.

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

For SharePoint/Power Platform blogs, visit: Ganesh Sanap Blogs

@ganeshsanap To clarify, I am using Sharepoint version "Microsoft 365". When someone leaves a comment in a document that I've edited on SharePoint, I receive an email from "email address removed for privacy reasons".

I am aware of the email notification settings page described here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/set-your-sharepoint-email-notification-preferences-5bd63d... though it appears that when I click the settings gear icon, the Email Notification Preferences option is not present. In any case, I'm not trying to change my global settings. What I want to do is change the settings for a particular document so that I no longer receive notifications from changes to it or comments left in it UNLESS I am specifically mentioned with @ symbol. I'm no longer involved in the writing of that document, but I'm still getting lots of notifications for it.  

@J_DiamondI too would like to know how to turn off notifications for a SPECIFIC file. As a Systems Administrator, I put in place a lot of files that I DO NOT WANT notifications on, as they are not a part of my job function, but I receive them anyways.

I don't want to blanket turn off all Comment notifications, as I DO have documents that I do maintain and do want to know when changes are made.

I want an File Specific Notification setting to turn off.

I feel like this should work, due to the fact that in each of the notifications there is a Slider for being "Notifications for this File" however trying to slide it or click it just causes the whole email to act like a prompt has come up, but nothing shows up.