SOLVED

Disable Comments in Lists

Copper Contributor

How can we disable Comments in a list?   This is causing confusion for end-users of lists that already have a comments field.

nullorempty_0-1607710951305.png

10 Replies

AFAIK there is not a way to disable list comments

@Juan Carlos González Martín 
any idea where the comments are stored?   from a business standpoint, some of my lists are synced with other business systems and the comments will need to be captured.

@nullorempty 

Hi, you can do it but only Tenant wide and not for specific sites:

#To disable it run this command
Connect-SPOService -Url https://contoso-admin.sharepoint.com/ 
Set-SPOTenant -CommentsOnListItemsDisabled $true

#To enable this run this command
Connect-SPOService -Url https://contoso-admin.sharepoint.com/ 

@nullorempty 

Currently it is not possible to disable comments at site or list level. But you can disable it at tenant level as given below:

You can disable comments in SharePoint online lists using PowerShell. Use below command:

Microsoft documentationSet-SPOTenant

Note: You must be a SharePoint Administrator or Global Administrator in your tenant to disable this feature using PowerShell.

Answer to your 2nd question: List comments are stored with the list schema and not against individual list items.

Additional References:

1. How to Enable/Disable the commenting in SharePoint Online/Microsoft Lists 
  2. SharePoint Online: All you need to know about Commenting in Lists 

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

best response confirmed by nullorempty (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ganeshsanap, looks like another Microsoft misstep...am I surprised? No. Am I irritated? Yep. Complete and total ignorance on their part and the list keeps growing and growing.

If only someone would stop driving such bells and whistles and start driving consistency (conformity, compliance and comprehension).

@lance-aughey 

Note from Microsoft:

"It is not currently possible to disable commenting at the site or list level. We hope to have those controls in a later update, likely in the first quarter 2021."

So, we can hope to have the control to disable this at site or list level soon (No timelines given).

Please click Mark as Best Response if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

I can only hope we don't have to endure multiple iterations of this when they do. Fingers crossed!
Completely agree Lance. Another half-arsed, poorly thought out implementation. The only silver lining is that at least this time there is an off switch, unlike some other instances where we were unable to disable the functionality.

@Andrew Goodwinand others,
We need two different versions of SPO.
v1 (normal) out of the box version.
v2 (premium) Admin(s) have a lot more control over junk being pushed out and being able to turn on/off settings.  i.e.  $web.ParserEnabled metadata is not copied by default.  This has caused a world of hurt in my company.

@nullorempty @Andrew Goodwin @lance-aughey ,

Enable/Disable list comments at SharePoint list level will be available very soon.

Check detailed information in below article:

Enable/Disable the comments for a SharePoint Online/Microsoft List 

Please click Mark as Best Response & Like if my post helped you to solve your issue. This will help others to find the correct solution easily. It also closes the item. If the post was useful in other ways, please consider giving it Like.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by nullorempty (Copper Contributor)
Solution

@ganeshsanap, looks like another Microsoft misstep...am I surprised? No. Am I irritated? Yep. Complete and total ignorance on their part and the list keeps growing and growing.

If only someone would stop driving such bells and whistles and start driving consistency (conformity, compliance and comprehension).

View solution in original post