Direct link to a specific page template in communication site

Copper Contributor

I am able to use "/_layouts/15/CreateSitePage.aspx" to access the default site page. Is it possible to obtain the direct URL for a specific template in site pages library? I am able to create a page template in my communication site. Instead of letting users to pick a template from featured or saved on this site, I'd like to create a link directly to a specific template so users can create new site pages with predefined components. 

Thanks

9 Replies

Hello, just wondering if there came any luck in discovering a way to create direct link or button for a new site of a particular template?

Thanks

Alex

@ci7alex1 

I'm looking for the same solution. I need something with a direct link create a new page based on saved template!

Another person who happened upon this old thread in hopes of finding the same thing. Any luck in the past... 2 years?
You can just go to the Templates folder inside the Site Pages library, click the 3 dots next to the template and select Copy link.

Rob
Los Gallardos
This just opens the template. Doesn't create a new page based on the template.

I'd also love to find a way to generate a new news item based on a template through one click.
Has anyone been able to solve this?
Hello,

same question here. Would like to create a new page based on template directly.
Want to use this for a knowledge base scenario. . .
it should be possible for colleagues to add pages with specified design as KB pages.

Regards

Marc

Has anybody an idea or solution for that? 

@Joe Lai 

(and @Christoph1085 @JohnMoore33 )

I've been looking into this pretty heavily, and I might start my own question for it as one of my approaches (will not list here yet) seems to be valid and not in any opposition to any Microsoft rules or values. As in, it's not a hack, but it might actually be a 'broken' part of MS' infrastructure right now.

Within the confines of this particular workflow / way of thinking, though ...

It's In The ASPX ... I Think

The 'CreateSitePage.aspx' as far as I can see it actually sends a POST request to make a draft page with a random unique file name (until the name is changed), the page is then generated using either:

• Something called the 'Article' page type (something I saw in a JSON value somewhere)
  • The BlankWebPartPage.aspx file ... which might only be accessible if you turn on the publishing workflows

So ... I'm wondering if it's worth either:

Edit The Blank Web Part Page

So, make the changes needed to the BlankWebPartPage.aspx file based on changes made to your template, then saving that, and turning of the publishing features of the site.

Theoretically, that should make CreateSitePage.aspx use the desired template.

Theoretically.

Do Something With Article Pages

Alternatively, work out whatever this 'article' page is, and ensure that whatever that is is configured how you need.

This would require a bit more looking into ... however, IRRC I found it by watching the new requests in the browser page inspector.