Different views in the same library by location

Copper Contributor

Hi All: 

I am looking to be able to group documents a certain way (document sets by customer account--this is view 1) at the highest-level, and then when these document sets are clicked on, display them in a view that shows the entirety of the document set (view 2). Right now it defaults back to sorting by view 1, which is redundant at this level, one level lower. 

Is this possible anymore? I have followed the per-location steps here and it fails to resolve:https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sharepoint/support/lists-and-libraries/per-location-view-settings-f...

Any help would be appreciated.

3 Replies

@Chicago_Grant09 

I've spent an hour trying various things to get this to work with little to show for it. I have the benefit of offering my users a link to get to the library. When they click the link they will see the top-level view I wish to show them (in my case, document sets where "ManagerAccount" = [Me]). This view isn't the default view for the library. When the user clicks into the doc set they will flip to the default view (all docs in the content type sorted by modified date). This is the best I have to give a fragile "different views at different levels approach. I hope there's a better solution out there. 

@JayBrooks -- I figured it out. So in the document set modern experience you can set, under document settings, a default view to use for the document library ONLY if the document set is cut off from in inheritance from the site/content type hub and is local to the library. This in effect allows you to use multiple views in the library by setting a default main view to the top level view.