Different permissions for users in same sharepoint group

Brass Contributor

Can we define different permissions for members of same group?

I have one group say "IT infra"

in that group I have 4 members, i want 3 members can have Read permission and one member only can have read/write/edit permission

is this possible?

5 Replies

@rautchetan27why make things completed, you could easily invited individuals with different permissions to that same SharePoint or you can create Sharepoint Security groups and give different permissions to each of those SharePoint Security groups.

@PDostiyar 

My requirement is given sharepoint group can only see list items from list which having value in column Vendor same as sharepoint group name, so i am using column type as Users/Group and then using following CAML query, i am filtering list items.

<Where><Membership Type="CurrentUserGroups"><FieldRef Name="Vendor_Select"/></Membership></Where>

But when with in filter Items, I want only one or two users of the given group will have Edit/update option

and all other users only have read option with in group, so if one user group say IT ,all members of the group can see list Items with value in Vendor column as IT, but only one or two can edit items,...and no one from IT group can see items other than having value in Vendor column =IT

@rautchetan27  great and thanks for clarifying it, as I mentioned in the other post you cannot do Sharepoint security group for 2 purposes so better to create 2 Sharepoint permission groups and then in your query allow both groups so then if people are group A they will have edit as group A got edit permission and if people are in group B they got only read/view permission that is how it will work.

@PDostiyar 

This is not possible in my scenario, I need to restrict list items on the basis of sharepoint groups, so they can see list items which having same value as group name in column Vendor.for this I am using CAML query.

<Where><Membership Type="CurrentUserGroups"><FieldRef Name="Vendor_Select"/></Membership></Where>

now with in filter list, again i want to restrict, so few users only have edit option but remaining user have only read option.

@rautchetan27  so if that is the case then you can try low code no code option PowerApps so whatever limitation the SharePoint list has can be customized through Powerapps.

here is the link to Docs for PowerApps = https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powerapps/