SOLVED

Differences between "MS Account" and "Organizational Account" when sharing with external users

Steel Contributor

When i share a SharePoint site with external email address, and the user click on the invitation link they will get this screen:-

desktop.png

now my understanding is that the "Organizational Account" allow users to sign in to the site using their office 365 account, while the "MS Account" option allow them to login using their Hotmail account, and also also allow them to map their non-MS accounts such as yahoo,gmail, etc as MS account? is my assumption correct?

and if they want to login using the "MS Account" using their yahoo account or non-MS account, then they have to create a password for their mapped email? is my second assumption correct also?

Thanks

Thanks

2 Replies
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)
Solution
Your assumption is correct.

See definitions here

https://support.office.com/en-us/article/what-account-do-i-use-with-office-and-why-do-i-need-one-914...

Hope that answers your question!

Best, Chris
For SharePoint sites shared to Organisational accounts, Microsoft shouldn’t be giving this account selection choice to invitees. Almost all the time I have had invitees clicking on Microsoft account and not being able to access the site.
1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by adam deltinger (MVP)