Deleted sites not disappearing from frequent sites

Copper Contributor

We have 3 subsites that were deleted

They still appear on frequent sites.

See image..

We have contacted support via Office 365 Help, discussed it with them, they suggested we come here.

The sites were created and deleted in October 2017.

When trying to open the deleted sites, we get a small text message 404 FILE NOT FOUND

i understand it takes 30 days for them to disappear

The support person suggested we may have someone trying to open them..  but we well and truly got bored looking at them more than 100 days ago..

They should be gone now.

Any tips?

7 Replies

How did you delete your sites. Can you make sure they are permanently deleted using below powershell wait for 24 hours and let us know?

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/sharepoint-online/Remove-SPOSite?view=sharepoint-...

I do believe I've already tried that in January.. but I'll try it again and report back after 24 hours.

I'm sure I've run this correctly, but I get an error.

2018-04-05_14-48-30.jpg

Same thing here... have a couple of long-deleted sites (deleted back in January) that are still in the list

@James Selleck just to be sure, have you tried the cmdlets Get-SPODeletedSite & Remove-SPODeletedSite to check if they are  still in the recycle bin?

Normally they stay in the recycle bin for 92 days.

Get-SPODeletedSite returns nothing..

But - I just checked the original problem and the ghost sites are completely gone now.

Same issue for us. The sites don't shown anymore on the modern recycle bin view but remain showing on the classic view of the recycle bin - It's impossible to delete them, tried SPO and PNP PowerShell scripts, can't create a new site with the same url and it throws an error if you try to restore them using the UI... @James Selleck We've been waiting a few weeks now and they don't go away.