Deleted SharePoint List view

Copper Contributor
I’m hoping someone can help with my question.
Does anyone know if it’s possible to restore a deleted view from a SharePoint list?

Also how can we see who deleted it

Please help:)

Jenn
3 Replies

@jenn miozzo You're probably out of luck regarding restoring the list view. I don't believe it will send it to the recycle bin in anyway. So unless you have a backup underlying database that you can restore to a dev farm to get the information regarding the set up of the view (assuming you're using SharePoint on-prem)... you may be out of luck.

Regarding discovering the deleting user you may be able to trace it (again assuming it's on-prem and assuming you have this feature turned on within IIS) by analyzing the worker process request logs the operation will be a Post to a url that looks like: "_layouts/15/ViewEdit.aspx?List=<URLENCODEDLISTGUID>&View=<URLENCODEDVIEWID>" the lines should have a user account logged for time and the person executing them.

AFAIK, there is no way to restore a deleted view in a list / document library

@jenn miozzo Agree with the above, there's no way to restore as list views don't go to the recycle bin.

It also appears that list view deletions(unlike page deletions) do not trigger an entry in the unified audit log, so unfortunately there's no way to identify who deleted it.