Default Form Missing - Stuck With InfoPath option

Copper Contributor

Hi All,

I'm wondering if anyone has seen this issue and knows of a fix. I had an InfoPath form ties to a list and would now like to remove it and use the built in/default form. The problem is I  do not have that option in Form Settings anymore. The default has now become the InfoPath option!

Screen Shot 2021-09-28 at 12.12.02 AM.png

• I no longer have InfoPath installed
  • I attempted to save the site as a template and reopen in a new site to disassociate (did not work)
  • I have see the Site Collection option to Deactivate but seems like I may loose the associated list items (which is a dealbreaker) 

Any help is much appreciated!

3 Replies
I am running into the same issue. Did you find a solution?

@WorkHard I am stuck in the same frustrating limbo. Tried transfering the list to another subsite in 2013 to see if I could remove the content type nondestructively, but infopath is the only available option there, too. Not sure if I need to remove infopath as the form option to be able to transfer, or if it's hopeless. There seems to be no information out there on how to resolve this situation.

I ran into this problem when I learned that you can export an Excel table into a SharePoint list (from within Excel).  Which held a lot of promise.  I was researching alternatives to the importing of an Excel table from inside SharePoint (online) b/c that method will turn all the column names into "field_#" where # is the position of the column, so your first column will be called field_1, 2nd one will be called field_2, and so on. 

Turns out, when you export an excel file into SharePoint, it keeps the column names intact (yay!), however, it creates a "weird" list type where the list icon is a golden/orange color (unlike the gray color of "regular" lists), there's no "Details" option like the "regular" lists and the only "Form settings" option (i.e. how you customize the data entry) is InfoPath.  Huh?

Why do both methods have to have silly drawbacks.  Can't we have 1 way of bringing excel info into SharePoint that doesn't have an issue?

What is this weird List type anyway?  It automatically creates a view that has AllItemsg.aspx (note the "g") that automatically is set to edit in grid view.