Date created/modified changes with upload

Brass Contributor

When uploading files to SharePoint using the bulk folder upload functionlity, single file button or when using the 'View in Explorer' option, the date created/modified changes in SharePoint. Using the OneDrive Sync Client is the only option to keep the right created/modified dates, but it would be very handy to have this working in the bulk folder upload, etc. as well.

4 Replies

Hi Sonny,

just a question if you would move files from one share to another would the date still be ok? i guess it has to do with changing fileshares a windows intern thing.

A good suggestion would be to use Sharegate Or Bititan for bulk file upload.

Kr,

Paul

Hi Paul,

Normally when moving files over (from share to share, or from disk to share, etc.) the file dates remain unchanged, but when moving over to SharePoint (using the file upload button in the library) the file date changes. When using the sync client file dates are preserved.

For the record: we don't want to use Third Party tools, for multiple reasons. Our expectation was that the file upload would keep existing document properties.

Kind regards,

Sonny

I am afraid that the main reason is that it is not moved but created in SharePoint. And in Onedrive and other tools it is being moved.

So i guess there is no solution for it than the solution to use OneDrive which i prefer anyway for syncing especially when you also use Metadata.

Kr,

Paul

I understand, but I've seen it working on web apps with preversation of metadata while uploading, so my guess is Microsoft may have something up their sleeve to fix this issue :)