Data Integrity and Popularity/Search Reports

Brass Contributor

Every month, I pull data from our O365 tenant's default search site on query rule usage, top queries, etc. and am always amazed at the discrepancy between two reports that should be showing the same total numbers. Here is what my top queries report looks like for the month of April 2018. [Query text redacted for privacy.]

2018-05-03 16_00_57-Microsoft Edge.png

Someone pointed out to me that this would mean our users generate about 535,000 queries per month--an outlandish number for our organization. I can understand rounding here to a degree, but not orders of magnitude off-target. Enter the 'Number of Queries' report, also from the tenant default search site.

2018-05-03 16_24_02-Number_of_Queries (4).xlsx - Excel.png

These numbers, save a few notable exceptions (hello zeros in 2016), do seem much more realistic. But there is still the issue of inconsistency with the other report. Anyone else experienced this? If anyone is able to point me to a resource that dives deep and explains this irregularity and/or exactly how these reports get their data, it would be greatly appreciated. We want to be able to trust this data so we can act on it to improve the search experience for our users, and measure improvement as we make changes. Thank you!

1 Reply
Also related: does anyone know how I might automatically pull these reports on a monthly basis? Thanks in advance!