SOLVED

Data Entry in the Document Library

MVP

Hi!

Is there a way when the user create a new template or document in the document library, a dialog box will launch automatically instead of showing the details pane? It is cumbersome to the users who will go to details pane, then edit the properties of the file.

Anj :)

9 Replies

@Anj Cerbolles 
This is not possible in OOTB Modern View. The details pane is not shown even if there are required fields.

Ways forward:
a. null
Instruct your users to open the details pane for each document separately or use the quick edit for a set of documents.
b. use 3rd party apps that allow selection of content types and set custom metadata (e.g. here)
c. stop using metadata
Paul

@Anj Cerbolles 

Dialog boxes have not been applied to modern SharePoint becasue they are not "mobile device" friendly or supportive.  Microsoft have design the interface work with any type of device, whether it a mobile phone, tablet, laptop, PC or mac.  Dialog boxes are very much a windows interface and many organisations are embracing the convenience of updating information via phone while on the go.

Microsoft have provided tools to make the detail pane more friendly by way of using the custom form option using Power Apps.

If your tenancy still allows it, you can go to the library settings --> Advacned Settigns and enable dialog option to Yes which forces the classic experience dialog, but I do not know if your tenenacy supports this and for how long as they are encuraging people not to use th the legacy tools.

Another way to get users to complete properties is to embed them into the document, so the moment they create a new one they are adding the content naturally as they would, which will automatically add the data into the library property columns.

@JohnDayQA  and @Anj Cerbolles 
The Classic view will indeed have a limited life expectancy.
Do keep in mind that the property promotion of embedded document properties to SharePoint columns has limitations. For example, this only works for Office documents and tiff files. It does not work for pdf files, emails, zip files, drawings, videos, images, ... You also do not have control over the naming of the SharePoint columns, they need to match with the property names in the document. It is also not possible to use multiple document content types in the same library. 
Paul

@Paul de Jong 

"It is also not possible to use multiple document content types in the same library."
Really?  I've been applying and delivering training on how to apply mutliple document content types in libraries and the same with list content types for over 10 years?  It is part of my 5 day Content Management course I wrote for training company I worked for.  Maybe you are referring to something specific that I have missed.  

best response confirmed by Anj Cerbolles (MVP)
Solution
Hi All,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. Currently found a workaround with this issue using the ListView Formatting.

Thanks!

@Paul de Jong 

"Do keep in mind that the property promotion of embedded document properties to SharePoint columns has limitations. For example, this only works for Office documents and tiff files. It does not work for pdf files, emails."

I think you are referring to "custom columns".  Microsoft have provided site columns that "data map" to Microsoft Outlook messages, contacts and tasks, plus many media applications.  A custom Column can map to PDF and other metadata providing the column name you give matches the metadata name.  We have proven this to be true in our training courses for over a decade.  The first name you create is the name given to the column (or the field parameter in the URL Path if you click and edit the column and look at the very end of the URL properties).  Renaming only changes the friendly name seen not the localised name.  This is the same with SharePoint apps.  It is how the managed properties are defined in the content database. 

@JohnDayQA 

Agree, this sentence is indeed confusing. Libraries and list do support multiple content types. The point I was trying to make that when a set of files is uploaded you may want some files to use content type A and some files content type B.
Paul

@Paul de Jong 

My apologies @Paul de Jong if I misunderstood your post.

@JohnDayQA 
Thanks. No worries. My post wasn't clear.

1 best response

Accepted Solutions
best response confirmed by Anj Cerbolles (MVP)
Solution
Hi All,

Thank you for your reply and suggestions. Currently found a workaround with this issue using the ListView Formatting.

Thanks!

View solution in original post